Order 100% Organic Karuppu kowni Kanji Mix (Black rice Porridge flour) and other Organic Health Mixes Online from Sweet Karam Coffee
Sweet Karam Coffee is happy to partner with Namma Nellu to bring 100% organic rice varieties to your home.
Karuppu Kowni or Black rice as it called is rich in nutrients and antioxidants. While this crop takes 150 - 170 days to grow, it is cultivated during September - January. This is a traditional rice variety. This grain can grow easily with the help of organic manures such as green and green leaf manure. This is one of the grains which require very less water and pest resistance. It is said that, since this is highly nutritious, this variety was taken mostly by the rules and their ministers in the olden era of Kingdom rule in China and if other people consume this rice, the rulers punish them. Even now, Karuppu Kowni rice is famous in the Chettinad region in Tamil Nadu where it is widely used during events and functions.
Medicinal benefits of Karuppu Kavuni
- Rich in Antioxidants helps the body prevent or slow down the cell damage
- Balances the blood pressure level
- Reduces the probability of diabetes, cancer, and heart-related problems
- Vitamin C presence helps in improving the quality of skin and hair
- Plays a vital role in weight loss
- Good for kidney and liver
Characteristics of the grain
The rice is dark brown in colour with bold rice quality.
Used for curing arthritic and a great variety for diabetes
About Namma Nellu:
- India is endowed with very exceptionally rich biodiversity in rice. So rich that it will take you 500 years to taste all native varieties of rice just once if you eat one rice a day!
- Since 1995 Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) an NGO has been conserving traditional rice varieties and documenting and researching their agronomic properties.
- Through the years they have realised that these varieties are important not only for their agronomic properties (flood/drought resistance, pests/disease resistance, suitability to various soil types and ecosystems etc.) but also their value in terms of nutrition, culinary traditions and therapeutic value.
- The numbers and extent of cultivation of these varieties have been declining sharply and many of these varieties are threatened with extinction.
- Namma Nellu through Sempulam Sustainable Solutions is involved in helping these farmers market these varieties. Systematic monitoring of organic cultivation of these varieties is ensured. Farmers are paid a premium price at the point of purchase itself. Namma Nellu provides branding and marketing support and ensures the customer organically cultivated traditional varieties.
- Namma Nellu also procures region-specific rice varieties from across India from genuine organic farmers. Along with its huge range of traditional organic rice varieties, organically cultivated pulses and millets are also procured directly from farmers and supplied to the consumers.
- During the course of its work for the last 27 years on indigenous seed conservation, the Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) has collected more than 100 indigenous varieties of rice suitable for cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
- Several indigenous paddy varieties have a low Glycemic Index (GI) and this is of crucial importance in a population with a high and increasing incidence of diabetes.
Organic is not a trend, it is the traditional way to live healthy.