Order 100% Organic Jeeragasala and other Organic Traditional Rice Varieties Online (Exclusively Vacuum Packed) from Sweet Karam Coffee
(Scroll down for benefits & unique nutritional properties)
Sweet Karam Coffee is happy to partner with Namma Nellu to bring 100% organic rice varieties to your home.
About Namma Nellu:
- India is endowed with very exceptionally rich biodiversity in rice. So rich that it will take you 500 years to taste all native varieties of rice just once if you eat one rice a day!
- Since 1995 Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) an NGO has been conserving traditional rice varieties and documenting and researching their agronomic properties.
- Through the years they have realised that these varieties are important not only for their agronomic properties (flood/drought resistance, pests/disease resistance, suitability to various soil types and ecosystems etc.) but also their value in terms of nutrition, culinary traditions and therapeutic value.
- The numbers and extent of cultivation of these varieties have been declining sharply and many of these varieties are threatened with extinction.
- Namma Nellu through Sempulam Sustainable Solutions is involved in helping these farmers market these varieties. Systematic monitoring of organic cultivation of these varieties is ensured. Farmers are paid a premium price at the point of purchase itself. Namma Nellu provides branding and marketing support and ensures the customer organically cultivated traditional varieties.
- Namma Nellu also procures region-specific rice varieties from across India from genuine organic farmers. Along with its huge range of traditional organic rice varieties, organically cultivated pulses and millets are also procured directly from farmers and supplied to the consumers.
- During the course of its work for the last 27 years on indigenous seed conservation, the Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) has collected more than 100 indigenous varieties of rice suitable for cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
- Several indigenous paddy varieties have a low Glycemic Index (GI) and this is of crucial importance in a population with a high and increasing incidence of diabetes.
Organic is not a trend, it is the traditional way to live healthy.
Characteristics of the grain
The colour of the rice is white and it is a fine rice variety.
Jeeragasala rice is an aromatic rice grown by the tribal communities of Wayanad in Kerala. This rice is easily digestible and also good for diabetes.
Cooking / Dishes
- Suitable for table rice.
- Suitable for delicious briyani and pulav.
It is high in protein and rich in antioxidants.
(per 100 g)*
(per 100 g)**