Varagu (Kodo Millet) Rice 500g
Order 100% Organic Varagu (Kodo Millet) Rice and other Organic Millets Online from Sweet Karam Coffee
Varagu- The Versatile Millet
Varagu/Kodo Millet is domesticated in India since last 3000 years; it is thought to be one of the oldest cultivated grains by humans.
Varagu is highly versatile and a drought tolerant millet which grows well in tropical and sub-tropical regions. It grows well even in poor soil. The versatile/adaptable nature of Varugu is written in literature as well. Varagu/KodoMillet is a popular food during the time of fast or upvas in some parts of India.
Health Benefits of Varagu
- Low glycemic index €“ Which means that Kodo millets release glucose/energy slowly, over a longer period of time and thus helps in sugar control. This makes it a great substitute for polished white rice
- Gluten-free €“ Great for people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- Easy to digest as it is rich in dietary fiber.
- Good source of vitamins €“ Vitamin B6, Niacin, folic acid and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc
- Controls Blood Sugar: Kodo Millet slowly releases the energy in body , thus controlling the blood sugar.
- Anti Oxidant Properties: It has antioxidants like polyphenols
- Kodo millet is very beneficial for postmenopausal women as well
Varagu/Kodo Millet is also used in preparation of ayurvedic medicines.
For something to become a habit, we should get on to it gradually. Replacing rice or wheat with Millets few times a week will slowly become a life long habit and you€™ll end up eating a tasty, balanced diet that€™s nutritious too. Organic Millets not only help us and but also the farmers who are struggling to provide us nutritious food.
Tasty Recipes with Varagu:
Here are some of the things you can do with Varagu: Idli, Dosa, Pulao, Athirsam, Adai, Upma.
Do taste our lip smacking Varagu/Kodo Millet Red Chilli, Mint Coriander Crisps and delightful Kodo Athirasam. Order your pack of organic Varagu/Kodo millets here.
Explore our range of Organic Millets: Thinai(Foxtail Millet),Naatu Kambu(Pearl Millet), Kuthiraivalli (Barnyard Millet) ,Saamai (Little Millet) and Ragi