Order 100% Organic Ragi/Nachni Flour and other Organic Flours Online from Sweet Karam Coffee
Sweet Karam Coffee is happy to partner with Namma Nellu to bring 100% organic unpolished millet varieties to your home. (More about Namma Nellu below)
Health Benefits of Ragi
High in Protein: Ragi is high in protein making it a good source of protein for vegetarians.
High in Fibre: Insoluble fibre in Ragi keeps one fuller, helps in digestion and acts as relief from constipation.
Rich in antioxidants: Antioxidants in Ragi helps fight the body against infections.
Gluten free: Ragi is a smart option for gluten intolerant people.
Helps fight against diabetes: It creates lower sugar in insulin levels compared to other options.
Good for Toddlers: Ragi is a wholesome food for kids which keeps them satiated for hours.
Calcium in Ragi helps strengthen bones and teeth.
Ragi's nutrition profile makes it too hard to ignore. The uniqueness and versatility of ragi extend into the typical Indian kitchen, where it can easily be incorporated to make staple desi dishes such as upmas, rotis, dosas, idlis, parathas, halwas and kheer. Ragi Mudde is a famous dish from Karnataka region.
The millet is easily available, quick to cook and good to taste proves to be an ideal wholesome alternative to rice, wheat and other less easily available millets. Let's strive to incorporate this healthy millet in our diet.
When we choose organic millets, we are giving back to our society in form of sustainable living as well as helping the farmer community by providing a way of living. Order your pack of Ragi now.
About Namma Nellu:
- India is endowed with very exceptionally rich biodiversity in rice. So rich that it will take you 500 years to taste all native varieties of rice just once if you eat one rice a day!
- Since 1995 Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) an NGO has been conserving traditional rice varieties and documenting and researching their agronomic properties.
- Through the years they have realised that these varieties are important not only for their agronomic properties (flood/drought resistance, pests/disease resistance, suitability to various soil types and ecosystems etc.) but also their value in terms of nutrition, culinary traditions and therapeutic value.
- The numbers and extent of cultivation of these varieties have been declining sharply and many of these varieties are threatened with extinction.
- Namma Nellu through Sempulam Sustainable Solutions is involved in helping these farmers market these varieties. Systematic monitoring of organic cultivation of these varieties is ensured. Farmers are paid a premium price at the point of purchase itself. Namma Nellu provides branding and marketing support and ensures the customer organically cultivated traditional varieties.
- Namma Nellu also procures region-specific rice varieties from across India from genuine organic farmers. Along with its huge range of traditional organic rice varieties, organically cultivated pulses and millets are also procured directly from farmers and supplied to the consumers.
- During the course of its work for the last 27 years on indigenous seed conservation, the Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) has collected more than 100 indigenous varieties of rice suitable for cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
- Several indigenous paddy varieties have a low Glycemic Index (GI) and this is of crucial importance in a population with a high and increasing incidence of diabetes.
Organic is not a trend, it is the traditional way to live healthy.