Order 100% Organic Sivappu Seeraga Samba Rice and other Organic Traditional Rice Varieties Online (Exclusively Vacuum Packed) from Sweet Karam Coffee
Highly aromatic premium variety from South India most suited for biriyani.
Sweet Karam Coffee is happy to partner with Namma Nellu to bring 100% organic rice varieties to your home.
About Namma Nellu:
- India is endowed with very exceptionally rich biodiversity in rice. So rich that it will take you 500 years to taste all native varieties of rice just once if you eat one rice a day!
- Since 1995 Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) an NGO has been conserving traditional rice varieties and documenting and researching their agronomic properties.
- Through the years they have realised that these varieties are important not only for their agronomic properties (flood/drought resistance, pests/disease resistance, suitability to various soil types and ecosystems etc.) but also their value in terms of nutrition, culinary traditions and therapeutic value.
- The numbers and extent of cultivation of these varieties have been declining sharply and many of these varieties are threatened with extinction.
- Namma Nellu through Sempulam Sustainable Solutions is involved in helping these farmers market these varieties. Systematic monitoring of organic cultivation of these varieties is ensured. Farmers are paid a premium price at the point of purchase itself. Namma Nellu provides branding and marketing support and ensures the customer organically cultivated traditional varieties.
- Namma Nellu also procures region-specific rice varieties from across India from genuine organic farmers. Along with its huge range of traditional organic rice varieties, organically cultivated pulses and millets are also procured directly from farmers and supplied to the consumers.
- During the course of its work for the last 27 years on indigenous seed conservation, the Centre for Indian Knowledge Systems (CIKS) has collected more than 100 indigenous varieties of rice suitable for cultivation in Tamil Nadu.
- Several indigenous paddy varieties have a low Glycemic Index (GI) and this is of crucial importance in a population with a high and increasing incidence of diabetes.
Organic is not a trend, it is the traditional way to live healthy.
Sivappu Seeraga Samba - The aromatic Biryani rice
Do you like Biriyani? Whether veg. or non. veg biriyani, have you ever tasted the biriyani prepared in Seeraga Samba instead of basmati rice? If not, you have to do that first. The biriyani prepared with this rice is tastier than the basmati rice. Seeraga samba biriyani is famous in restaurants as well.
Sivappu Seeraga Samba
This is a traditional rice variety native to Tamil Nadu. It got its name due to its size similar to seeragam (cumin seeds). It takes 125 - 130 days to cultivate this grain which is suitable for the transplanting method. The seed has to be in the nursery period for 30 - 35 days where it grows to a height of 80 cm before being transplanted to the main paddy fields.
- Can be consumed as table rice.
- Ideal for making Payasam/Kheer.
- Ideal for making delicious Biriyani and Pongal.
Benefits of Sivappu Seeraga Samba
- Easily digestible and puts an end to constipation.
- Controls the calories in food and stops more intake of food.
- Cures Rheumatic diseases.
- Keeps you safe from ulcers and purifies the blood.
- Gives refreshment to eye nerves.
- Rich selenium content helps in fighting cancer and prevents colon and intestinal cancer.
- Its phytonutrients help to fight breast cancer and strengthen the heart
- Reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol.